Total Calories: 114
1. Line 9-inch square pan with foil so foil extends over sides of pan lightly butter foil.
2. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar mix well. Stir in corn syrup. Cook over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is well blended.
3. Remove saucepan from heat stir in sweetened condensed milk. Cook over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches firm-ball stage (244°F.).
4. Remove saucepan from heat stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered foil-lined pan. Cool about 30 minutes.
5. When candy has completely set, carefully remove from pan by lifting foil remove foil sides of candy. With thin-bladed knife, cut candy into pieces, using a light sawing motion. Wrap individual pieces in waxed paper. Store in refrigerator.
High Altitude (above 3500 feet): Cook until candy thermometer reaches 234°F.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Serving Size: 1 Square * Calories: 130 * Calories from Fat: 45 * % Daily Value: Total Fat: 5 g 8% * Saturated Fat: 3 g 15% * Cholesterol: 15 mg 5% * Sodium: 60 mg 3% * Total Carbohydrate: 20 g 7% * Dietary Fiber: 0 g 0% * Sugars: 17 g * Protein: 1 g * Vitamin A: 4% * Vitamin C: 0% * Calcium: 4% * Iron: 0% * Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 Fruit, 1 Fat or 1 1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
Chocolate Caramels: After stirring in sweetened condensed milk, cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches 230°F. Stir in 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped continue cooking and stirring for about 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 240°F. Continue as directed above.
See Cook's Note: Tips for Making Candy
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.