1. OVEN DIRECTIONS: Heat oven to 350 to 400°F. Select medium white baking potatoes (uniform for same baking time). Scrub potatoes. If desired, rub with small amount of shortening to soften skins. Prick with fork to allow steam to escape.
2. Bake at 350°F. for about 1 hour or at 400°F. for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender.
3. Using paper towels to protect hands from heat, roll potatoes between hands to make inside potato mixture light and mealy. Cut criss-cross slit in tops gently squeeze lower part of potato to force potato up through slit. If desired, top with margarine or butter sprinkle with salt and pepper.
1. MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: To microwave 1 medium white baking potato, place in center of microwave. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. For each additional potato, add 2 to 3 minutes cooking time.
2. Cover let stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving. Continue as directed above.
TIP: Baked potatoes can be served with any of the following toppings:
Bacon, cooked, crumbled
Blue cheese, crumbled
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Cheese Sauce, in Salads, Vegetables & Sides
Garlic or onion salt
Green onions, sliced
Margarine or butter, whipped with 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
Onion, chopped, cooked in margarine or butter
Sour cream and chives
Whipped cream cheese
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Serving Size: 1 Medium Baked Potato * Calories: 140 * Calories from Fat: 0 * % Daily Value: Total Fat: 0 g 0% * Saturated Fat: 0 g 0% * Cholesterol: 0 mg 0% * Sodium: 10 mg 0% * Total Carbohydrate: 31 g 10% * Dietary Fiber: 3 g 12% * Sugars: 1 g * Protein: 3 g * Vitamin A: 0% * Vitamin C: 25% * Calcium: 0% * Iron: 10% * Dietary Exchanges: 2 Starch or 2 Carbohydrate
Quick Baked Potatoes: Halve potatoes lengthwise cut surfaces in crisscross pattern (do not cut skins). Sprinkle lightly with onion salt and garlic salt. Dot with margarine or butter. Place in ungreased shallow baking pan. Bake at 425°F. for about 30 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with paprika.
Quick Microwaved Potatoes: Halve potatoes lengthwise cut surfaces in criss-cross pattern (do not cut skins). Sprinkle lightly with onion salt and garlic salt. Dot with margarine or butter. Place 4 potato halves in 8-inch square (2-quart) microwave-safe dish cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes begin to feel tender, rotating potatoes once during cooking. Remove from microwave. Let stand covered 2 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika.
See Cook's Note: Potato Pointers and Cook's Note: Cooking Potatoes
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.