Total Calories: 194
1. Place the chiles in a bowl and add warm water to cover. Soak until soft and pliable, about 30 minutes.
2. Drain the chiles, reserving the soaking liquid blot dry with paper towels. If a milder sauce is desired, remove the seeds.
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. When ready to cook, preheat a vegetable grate for 5 minutes. Brush the bell pepper and tomatoes with oil and grill until the skins are nicely charred, 10 to 15 minutes in all. Toss the garlic, almonds, and onion pieces with 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small bowl, then arrange these ingredients on the hot grate and cook, turning with a spatula, until each is nicely browned and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes for the almonds, 4 to 8 minutes for the vegetables. Brush the bread on both sides with oil and grill until nicely browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Grill the soaked and drained chiles until crisp and fragrant, about 20 seconds per side. As they are done, transfer the grilled almonds, vegetables, bread, and chiles to a platter and let cool.
5. Remove any very charred skin from the tomatoes and peppers core and seed the peppers. Transfer the tomatoes to a blender or food processor and purée to a smooth paste. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, almonds, bread, chiles, bay leaf, parsley, vinegar, remaining olive oil, and salt and black pepper. Process until smooth, adding enough of the reserved chile soaking liquid to make a pourable sauce. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or vinegar as necessary.
6. Serve the sauce at room temperature it will keep, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Makes about 2 cups
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.