1. Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1 1/2 inches, with shortening lightly flour.
2. Beat all ingredients except egg whites and White Mountain Frosting in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
3. Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).
4. Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. Frost rectangle or fill round layers and frost with White Mountain Frosting.
*Do not use self-rising flour.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Serving: Calories 310 (Calories from Fat 110) Fat 12g (Saturated 3g) Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 370mg Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 1g) Protein 5g % DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 10% Iron 0% DIET EXCHANGES: Not Recommended
Chocolate Chip Cake: Fold 1/2 cup miniature or finely chopped regular semisweet chocolate chips into batter.
Coconut-Lemon Cake: Spread rectangle or fill layers with Lemon Filling. Frost with White Mountain Frosting. Sprinkle cake with about 1 cup flaked or shredded coconut.
Marble Cake: Before pouring batter into pan(s), remove 1 3/4 cups of the batter reserve. Pour remaining batter into pan(s). Stir 3 tablespoons baking cocoa and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda into reserved batter. Drop chocolate batter by tablespoonfuls randomly onto white batter. Cut through batters with knife for marbled design. Bake and cool as directed in step 4.
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.