1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 325°.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat in water, oil, vanilla, lemon peel and egg yolks with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour egg yolk mixture over beaten egg whites, folding in with rubber spatula just until blended. Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10 X 4 inches.
4. Bake about 1 hour 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife or long metal spatula remove from pan.
5. Spread Lemon Glaze over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side.
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Serving Calories 295 (Calories from Fat 108) Fat 12g (Saturated 2g) Cholesterol 125mg Sodium 360mg Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 1g) Protein 6g % DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 8% Iron 8% DIET EXCHANGES: 2 Starch 1 Fruit 1 Fat
Orange Chiffon Cake: Omit vanilla. Substitute 2 tablespoons grated orange peel for the lemon peel.
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.