1. Cut shortening into flour and salt, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle with cold water and toss with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl.
3. Roll pastry from center to outside edge in all directions. To keep outside edge from becoming too thin, use less pressure on the rolling pin as it approaches the edge.
4. If edge of pastry splits, immediately patch it with a small piece of pastry. Occasionally lift pastry to make sure it is not sticking to the rolling surface.
5. Fold pastry into fourths and place in pie plate with point in center. Unfold and gently ease into plate, being careful not to stretch pastry, which will cause it to shrink when baked.
6. Or instead of folding pastry into fourths, roll pastry loosely around rolling pin and transfer to pie plate. Unroll pastry and ease into plate.
7. For two-crust pie, cut slits or special design in top pastry before folding. Carefully place pastry over filling by either folding it into fourths or rolling it around rolling pin. Let top pastry overhang 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold and roll overhanging pastry under edge of bottom pastry, pressing to seal.
8. After sealing the top pastry to the bottom pastry, form a stand-up rim of even thickness on edge of pie plate, continuing to press edges together. This seals the pastry and makes fluting easier.
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.