1. Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and side of 3 round pans, 8 X 1 1/2 or 9 X 1 1/2 inches, with shortening. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper or cooking parchment paper.
2. Heat chocolate and water in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate is completely melted cool.
3. Beat sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Separate eggs reserve egg whites. Beat egg yolks, one at a time, into sugar mixture. Beat in chocolate and vanilla on low speed. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk on low speed, beating just until smooth after each addition.
4. Using clean beaters, beat eggs whites on high speed until stiff fold into batter. Pour into pans. Refrigerate batter in third pan if not all pans will fit in oven at one time bake third pan separately.
5. Bake 8-inch rounds 35 to 40 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes remove from pans to wire rack. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. Fill layers and frost top of cake with Coconut-Pecan Filling and Topping, leaving side of cake unfrosted. Store covered in refrigerator.
*Spreads with at least 65% vegetable oil can be used (page 91).
**Do not use self-rising flour.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Serving Calories 445 (Calories from Fat 205) Fat 23g (Saturated 13g) Cholesterol 115mg Sodium 440mg Carbohydrate 55g (Dietary Fiber 2g) Protein 6g % DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 4% Iron 10% DIET EXCHANGES: Not Recommended
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.