1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 325°.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form set aside.
3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat in coffee, oil, vanilla and egg yolks on low speed 1 minute. Gradually pour coffee mixture over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just until blended. Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10 X 4 inches. Cut gently through batter with metal spatula or knife to break air pockets.
4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife or long metal spatula remove from pan.
5. Make Coffee Cream Filling. Cut cake horizontally to make 3 layers. (Mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin serrated knife.) Fill layers with Coffee Cream Filling. Top with whipped topping. Store covered in refrigerator.
Coffee Cream Filling
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Dash of salt
1 1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons coffee liqueur or cold strong coffee
Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, whipping cream and egg yolks in 1-quart saucepan until blended. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened remove from heat. Stir in liqueur. Refrigerate at least 1 hour until chilled.
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
NUTRITION FACTS: 1 Serving Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 80) Fat 9g (Saturated 2g) Cholesterol 65mg Sodium 270mg Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 0g) Protein 4g % DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 6% Iron 6% DIET EXCHANGES: 1 Starch 1 Fruit 2 Fat
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.