1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375°.
2. Mix powdered sugar and flour set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat.
3. Sprinkle powdered sugar–flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over egg white mixture, folding in with rubber spatula just until sugar–flour mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan), 10 X 4 inches. Cut gently through batter with metal spatula or knife to break air pockets.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife or long metal spatula remove from pan.
5. Spread or drizzle Vanilla Glaze over top of cake.
TIP: Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff and glossy (see photo).
To fold sugar-flour mixture into beaten egg white mixture, use a rubber spatula to cut down vertically through center of egg whites, across the bottom of the bowl and up the side, turning the egg whites over. Rotate bowl one-fourth turn and repeat. Continue folding in this way just until ingredients are blended.
Use a metal spatula to cut through batter, pushing batter gently against side of pan and tube, to break large air pockets.
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories 180 (Calories from Fat 0) Fat 0g (Saturated 0g) Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 100mg Carbohydrate 41g (Dietary Fiber 0g) Protein 4g % DAILY VALUE: Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 4% DIET EXCHANGES: 1 1/2 Starch 1 Fruit
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.