* Butter, margarine, oil, shortening and eggs are the primary sources of fat. Replacing butter or margarine is a challenge. Applesauce, yogurt, pureed prunes and mashed bananas as well as baby food all work, but none can be substituted for all the fat in a recipe without sacrificing the taste, texture and appearance.
* Overall, applesauce and yogurt work the best in most recipes. They add the necessary moistness and won't alter the flavor as much as prunes and bananas will.
* The flavor of prune puree is especially good with chocolate, spice and carrot cakes. Prune puree mixtures are now sold in the grocery store in the baking section the label may state that it's a butter and oil or fat replacer (follow label directions for use). Mashed bananas work well in carrot and banana cakes and muffins.
* For the best texture and flavor, we recommend replacing about half of the fat (butter margarine, shortening, oil) in a recipe with applesauce, yogurt, pureed prunes, mashed bananas or baby food.
* Replacing whole eggs with fat-free cholesterol-free egg product or egg whites is easy. Use ¼ cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product or 2 egg whites for each whole egg called for in a recipe.
* Some recipes lend themselves to "baking light" better than others. You may have to experiment a little to find which of your favorite recipes can be modified. In general, low-fat baked goods will be more cake like in texture and a little less tender than their high fat counterparts. They also will dry out more quickly, so bake small batches, freeze the leftovers or serve them warm, straight from the oven.
From "Betty Crocker's Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cooking Today." Text Copyright 2005 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This -BAKING LIGHT recipe is from the Betty Crocker's Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cooking Today Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.