Total Calories: 56
1. Wash and trim radishes. Lay each on its side, then crush by pounding decisively once or twice with the side of a cleaver or the bottom of a glass. (The radishes should split open, but not break in two.)
2. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 5 to 10 minutes then drain. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and remaining salt. Add to radishes and toss gently. Refrigerate, covered, only to chill (about 20 minutes). Sprinkle with peanut oil just before serving.
NOTE: Instead of crushing the radishes, you may make a crisscross cut in the top of each, to let the seasonings penetrate.
* For the peanut oil, substitute a few drops of sesame oil.
* For the white vinegar, substitute cider vinegar.
* For the white sugar, substitute light brown sugar.
* At the end of step 1, add 1 small cucumber, unpeeled, cut lengthwise in thirds, then crosswise in 1-inch sections, and crushed gently, like the radishes.
* At the end of step 2, add 1 green pepper, slivered.
* In step 3, add 1 garlic clove, minced, to the dressing.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.