Total Calories: 8
1. Mince or grind pork. Mix well with cornstarch, salt and soy sauce.
2. Spread mixture out flat like a pancake in a shallow heatproof dish.
3. Steam on a rack until done, about 30 minutes (see HOW-TO, _Steaming and BACKGROUND, 06- Techniques of Chinese Cooking STEAMING). Check with a fork to see that meat is no longer pink. Serve hot.
NOTE: This dish is best when made with slightly fat pork.
* Sliver rather than grind or mince pork, and steam about 45 minutes.
* In step 1, add to pork mixture any of the following:
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon peanut oil
few drops of sesame oil
1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced
1 scallion stalk, minced
1 egg, beaten
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, minced or 3 dried black mushrooms (soaked), minced
1/2 cup water chestnuts, minced
* Or add any of the following as indicated:
Add to pork mixture 1 tablespoon fermented black beans (soaked), mashed, and 1 garlic clove, minced.
Place on top of pork mixture 2 Chinese sausages, either cut diagonally in 1/2-inch slices, or minced.
Add to pork mixture 4 dried oysters (soaked), minced.
Add to pork mixture 2 dried duck livers (soaked), minced, and 1/2 cup water chestnuts, minced.
PICKLED BAMBOO SHOOTS:
Place on top of pork mixture 1/2 cup pickled bamboo shoots, drained.
Add to pork mixture 1/2 bundle preserved turnip, washed and shredded, 1 tablespoon sherry and a dash of pepper.
Add to pork mixture 1/4 to 1/2 cup salted or preserved cabbage, chopped. Top with 2 tablespoons water chestnuts, sliced.
Separate 1 salt egg. Add the white to the pork mixture along with 1 fresh egg, beaten 6 water chestnuts, minced, 2 teaspoons sherry and a dash of pepper. Mash or cut up salt egg yolk and sprinkle on top.
Add to pork mixture 1/8 pound dried salted fish (soaked), minced, plus 1/4 cup water. Or arrange on top of pork mixture 4 strips of salt fish, about 3/4 inches wide by 2 inches long (soaked), and 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon oil.
Add to pork mixture 1/2 cup tea melon, rinsed and chopped coarsely or diced. Or add 4 tablespoons tea melon and 1 cup bamboo shoots, chopped coarsely. Or add 2 tablespoons tea melon, minced 2 tablespoons preserved turnip, minced 1 tablespoon cloud ear mushrooms (soaked), minced, and a few drops of sesame oil.
Add to pork mixture any of the following:
1 cup cauliflower, broken into tiny flowerets or cut in 1-inch pieces and parboiled.
1/4 cup carrots, diced and parboiled.
1/4 cup Chinese turnips, diced and parboiled.
* Instead of blending the soy sauce with the pork mixture, as in step 1, sprinkle soy over the top with a circular motion in step 2. Minced scallions can be sprinkled over the pork in the same way.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.