Total Calories: 301
1. Combine the split peas and turmeric in a medium-size saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer the peas, uncovered, until just tender but not mushy, 12 to 15 minutes you should be able to crush a properly cooked pea between your thumb and forefinger. Drain the peas in a colander and let cool.
2. Grind the cooled peas to a coarse meal in a food processor. Stir the peas into the lamb in a large bowl along with the garlic, scallions, cilantro, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, the cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, then knead and squeeze the mixture with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3 to 4 minutes. To test the mixture for seasoning, sauté a small amount of it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding salt, pepper, or cayenne to the remaining mixture as necessary it should be highly seasoned. Cover and refrigerate the meat mixture for 1 hour.
3. If desired, set up the grill for grateless grilling. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal portions. Lightly wet your hands with cold water, then, starting about 1 inch from the tip of a skewer, mold one portion of the mixture around the skewer to form a sausage about 10 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Place each kebab as it is made on the prepared baking sheet (see Note).
5. When ready to cook, if not using the grateless method, generously oil the grate. Arrange the kebabs on the grill as described in the grateless method, or arrange directly on the hot oiled grate. Grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes in all.
6. Slide each sausage off its skewer onto a serving plate (if serving with naan, use it to protect your hand as you remove the sausages). Serve accompanied by sliced onion and lemon wedges.
Makes 4 sausages serves 4 as an entrée
Note: If not planning to cook immediately, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.