Total Calories: 465
1. Combine the lamb, beef, onion, chile, egg, dill, cilantro, 2 teaspoons salt, the pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin, and the turmeric in a large bowl. Knead and squeeze the mixture with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large heavy skillet and set over very low heat. Cook just until the mixture is warmed through, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and let stand until completely cooled.
2. To test the mixture for seasoning, sauté a small amount of it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding salt or cumin to the remaining mixture as necessary it should be highly seasoned.
3. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. Lightly wet your hands with cold water, then, starting about 1 inch from the tip of a skewer, mold each portion around the skewer to form a flattish sausage 11 to 12 inches long and 1 inch wide. Using the fore- and middle fingers of one hand in scissors fashion, make a series of shallow ridges the length of the sausage, perpendicular to the skewer. Place each kebab as it is made on the prepared baking sheet, then cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
4. If desired, set up the grill for grateless grilling. Preheat the grill to high.
5. When ready to cook, if not using the grateless method, generously oil the grate. Arrange the kebabs on the grill as described in the grateless method, or arange directly on the hot oiled grate. Grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned on both sides and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes in all. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 kebabs serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 as an entrée