Total Calories: 264
1. If desired, set up the grill for grateless grilling. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Combine the lamb, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Knead and squeeze the mixture with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3 to 4 minutes. To test the mixture for seasoning, sauté a small amount of it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding salt, cumin, or pepper to the remaining mixture as necessary.
3. Peel the shallots and cut each lengthwise in half. Starting on the round sides, thread 5 shallot halves onto each skewer, leaving about 1 inch between each.
4. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Divide the meat mixture into 32 equal portions. Lightly wet your hands with cold water, then take one portion of the meat and mold it around a skewer, between 2 shallot halves, making it as much as possible the same size. Repeat with the remaining portions of meat so each skewer contains 5 shallot halves alternating with 4 portions of meat. Place each kebab as it is made on the prepared baking sheet (see Note).
5. When ready to cook, if not using the grateless method, generously oil the grate. Arrange the kebabs on the grill as described in the grateless method, or arrange directly on the hot grate. Grill, turning with tongs, until the shallots are nicely browned and soft and the meat is browned as well and cooked through, about 12 minutes in all.
6. Use a pita to protect your hand as you slide the meat and shallots off their skewers into a serving bowl. Toss with the Pomegranate Molasses, cover, and let stand for 3 minutes. Divide the meat and shallots among serving plates and serve immediately, accompanied by the pita.
Makes 8 kebabs, serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 as an entrée
Note: If not planning to cook immediately, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.