Total Calories: 265
1. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium.
2. Scoop the seeds out of the calabaza (or halve and seed the butternut squash) and wrap it loosely in aluminum foil.
3. When ready to cook, place the calabaza on the grill in the center, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until the calabaza is very tender, about 1 hour. Remove the calabaza, open the foil (being careful of the escaping steam), and let cool to room temperature.
4. Trim the skin off the calabaza and cut the flesh into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Mince one of the garlic cloves and set aside. Cut the remaining garlic clove in half and rub a 10-inch gratin dish with it lightly butter the dish. Arrange one-fourth of the calabaza in a layer in the bottom of the dish. Pour one-third of the cream on top, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, nutmeg, one-third of the minced garlic and cheese, and some of the butter pieces. Add another layer of calabaza and top with half the remaining cream, the salt, pepper, nutmeg, half the garlic and cheese, and butter (save a little butter for the top). Continue in this fashion to make another complete layer. Top with the remaining calabaza, sprinkle the bread crumbs over the gratin, and dot with the remaining butter. The recipe can be prepared ahead to this stage. If making ahead, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.
5. When ready to cook, place the gratin on the hot grate in the center, away from the heat. Cover and cook until the gratin is crusty and brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately. If finishing the dish the next day, you’ll have to set up the grill for indirect grilling again and preheat to high.
If making and serving the gratin on the same day, you’ll need to add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side to bring the grill heat up to high.
Serves 6 to 8
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.