Total Calories: 204
1. Preheat the grill to medium-low.
2. Cut the stems off the artichokes so they stand upright. Rub the bottoms with the lemon to prevent discoloring. Trim the spiny tips off the leaves with a scissors. Using your fingers, gently push the leaves apart to open the artichoke like a flower.
3. Melt the butter in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat, then add the garlic and parsley, increase the heat to medium, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the garlic loses its rawness, about 3 minutes. Brush the artichokes all over with a generous amount of the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour a spoonful of the mixture over the top of each artichoke, letting it drip into the leaves.
4. When ready to cook, arrange the artichokes on the hot grate, stem sides down, and grill until the bottoms are a deep golden brown, rotating often with tongs to ensure even cooking. Baste often with the butter mixture and season generously with salt and pepper. You’ll need about 30 minutes to brown the bottoms.
5. Starting in the center, working with tongs, again spread the artichoke leaves out to open each artichoke like a flower. Baste with more garlic butter and season with more salt and pepper. Invert the artichokes and cook until a deep golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes more. The leaves should be crisp and should pull out easily the heart should be tender (test it for doneness by inserting a skewer). If using a charcoal grill, add 25 fresh coals after 1 hour.
6. Turn the artichokes again (the bottoms should now be on the grate) and baste and season again. Cook a few more minutes to rewarm the bottoms. Drizzle the artichokes with any remaining garlic butter and serve immediately.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.