Total Calories: 60
1. Prepare the adobo. Stem the chiles, tear open, and remove the veins and seeds. Soak in water to cover until soft and pliable, about 20 minutes. Drain the chiles and place in a blender with the garlic, onion, oregano, cloves, allspice berries, cinnamon, salt, vinegar, and water. Process to a smooth paste.
2. Using the tip of a paring knife, make a series of slits in the lamb, 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart. Smear the chile paste all over the lamb, working it into the slits, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 4 to 8 hours (the longer the better).
3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-low.
4. Assemble the consommé. Combine the onion, carrots, zucchini, calabaza, cabbage, tomato, potato, corn (if using), herb bundle, and water in a large fire-proof pot.
5. You’re now ready to assemble the barbacoa. Place the consommé pot in the center of the grate that holds the charcoal, or if using gas, the grill grate (away from the heat). Place a metal rack, like a sturdy cake rack, on top and layer with half the avocado leaves, if using (see Special Equipment) if not using, oil the rack. Place the lamb on top of the leaves, fat side up, and carpet it with the remaining avocado leaves. Cover the grill tightly.
6. Cook the barbacoa until the lamb is fall-off-the-bone tender, 3 to 4 hours. If using a charcoal grill, you’ll need to add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side every hour. When the lamb is done, the internal temperature will be about 170°F.
7. To serve the barbacoa, discard the top layer of avocado leaves and transfer the lamb and bottom layer of leaves to a platter. Let sit for 5 minutes, then thinly slice the meat or cut it into chunks. Remove the herb bundle from the consommé, then, using a ladle, skim off any fat floating on the surface of the soup. Stir in the chopped cilantro, chipotle, and salt and pepper the soup should be highly seasoned. Serve the consommé first, then the meat. Accompany both with tortillas and salsa.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.