Total Calories: 324
1. Combine the Tamarind Water, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large nonreactive bowl and whisk to mix. Rinse the chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Add the pieces to the mixture in the bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 4 to 12 hours (the longer the better).
2. Preheat the grill, using the two-tiered method.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat the oil in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, chile, and ginger and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, macadamia nuts, and apple and sauté until the apple is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the broth, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, and the teaspoon of lime juice and bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a blender. Process to a smooth purée, then return to the pan and simmer, uncovered, over low heat until thick and richly flavored, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding fish sauce, lime juice, and salt and pepper as necessary the sauce should be highly seasoned. Keep warm, covered (see Note).
4. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade discard the marinade. Arrange the pieces, skin side down, on the grate over the hotter section of the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the chicken pieces to serving plates or a platter and spoon the sauce on top, to serve.
Note: The sauce can be prepared up to 48 hours ahead of time. Refrigerate, covered, and reheat before serving.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.