Total Calories: 1,298
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Slow Cooker Cooking Time: 4 1/2 to 5 hours on high or 9 to 10 hours on low
Last-Minute Cooking Time: none
1. Rub roast with five-spice powder. In a 4-quart Dutch oven or large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown meat on all sides in oil. Transfer meat to a slow cooker.
2. In remaining oil in Dutch oven, saute green onions, sesame seeds and garlic for 1 minute remove from heat. Add 3/4 cup water, vermouth, soy sauce and bouillon granules. Stir to loosen browned bits from bottom. Pour mixture over roast in slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours or until meat is very tender.
4. Transfer roast to a platter cover and keep warm. Skim fat from broth. Pour broth into a medium saucepan (you will have about 2 3/4 cups). Over medium heat, bring to a boil.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir 1/3 cup cold water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into broth. Stirring over medium heat, bring to a boil and boil for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
6. To serve, carve meat and spoon some sauce over. Serve remaining sauce separately.
Serve with Oriental noodles and Chinese pea pods.
* Five-spice powder may be found in the seasonings or Oriental section of your supermarket.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.