Italian Pot Roast
This Italian pot roast is an easy weeknight dinner. Play around with the mushroom selection; try baby portabellas or creminis.
|1 (8-ounce) package||sliced fresh mushrooms|
|1||large sweet onion, cut in half and sliced|
|1||(3- to 4-lb.) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed|
|2 tablespoons||olive oil|
|1 teaspoon||kosher salt, or to taste|
|1/2 teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper, or to taste|
|1 (14 1/2-ounce) can||beef broth, or 1 3/4 cup beef stock|
|1 (8-ounce) can||tomato sauce|
|3 tablespoons||tomato paste|
|1 teaspoon||dried Italian seasoning|
1. Place mushrooms and onion in a lightly greased 5-to 6-qt. slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle roast with pepper. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
3. Place roast on top of mushrooms and onion in slow cooker. Sprinkle salt and pepper over roast; pour beef broth and tomato sauce over roast. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
4. Transfer roast to a cutting board; cut into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat. Keep roast warm.
5. Skim fat from juices in slow cooker; stir in tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Stir together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to juices in slow cooker, stirring until blended. Increase slow cooker heat to HIGH. Cover and cook 40 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in roast.