Sour Cream Deserves a Crown!
Holy cow, where did MAY go? And now here comes June, and along with it, National Dairy Month. Growing up in Washington State, I was always envious of the gals that were crowned as our local Dairy Queens and Princesses--what must it have been like, having access to all that ice cream? But that's another story...
Anyway, I do love dairy products--butter and cream especially. But there's another dairy royalty we should talk about: SOUR cream. There are so many things you can do with this versatile food that it deserves a crown. So in honor of June and sour cream in particular, read on:
- Enjoy berries coated in sour cream and dipped in brown sugar.
- Combine a jar of picante sauce and a container of sour cream for a zesty dip.
- Blend with bottled salad dressing to make a richer, creamier topping.
- Add 1 cup of sour cream (as part of the liquid ingredients) to cake batters to produce a moist, fluffy cake.
- Mix sour cream with a packet of ranch dressing mix to make a great tasting dip for chips and vegetables.
- Keep your guacamole dish looking tasty by spreading a thick layer of sour cream over it and covering with plastic wrap. When ready to serve, mix sour cream into the guacamole for a rich, smooth dip. Daisy Sour Cream will help keep air out and help keep the dip from turning brown.
- Try substituting sour cream in place of mayonnaise, yogurt, buttermilk, or cream cheese in deviled eggs, casseroles and desserts.
- Jazz up grilled chicken or pork with a sour cream sauce using Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, and sour cream.
- For a quick, homemade Russian dressing, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1 cup of ketchup, crushed garlic, and hot sauce for flavoring. Spoon over mixed greens.
- To make sour cream a thinner, pourable consistency, give it a good stir. The more you stir, the thinner it will become.
- ALICE'S idea: Make "Sloppy Chicken" by slow cooking shredded chicken breasts in a jar of salsa (hotness to your taste). When chicken is cooked, mix sour cream with cream cheese and add to chicken-salsa mixture. Ladle this over cooked rice. Divine!
Weekly Newsletter Contributer since 2006