Spring Sunshine Salad with Citrus Parmesan Dressing
6-8 handfuls mixed salad greens, washed and dried well (or butter lettuce)
1 medium orange, sectioned, pith removed, cut in half
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/2 cup toasted nuts (sliced almonds, pine nuts, etc)
1/2 cup sliced spring onion (scallions, or green onions)
Parmesan cheese, shavings to garnish
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 oranges, zest and juice of
2 tablespoons chopped shallots (or red onion, or scallions)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
2 pinches salt
2 pinches pepper
1. Wash and dry salad greens well and place them in a large bowl.
2. Add orange pieces, nuts, and onions.
3. Toss well with the Citrus Parmesan Dressing .
4. Add the avocado and toss the salad gently, so as not to mush the avocado.
5. Sprinkle with some Parmesan shavings(using a vegetable peeler).
Citrus Parmesan Dressing:
6. In a bowl combine the grated Parmesan, orange zest and juice, and the shallots.
7. Whisk in the red wine vinegar.
8. Whisk in the olive oil and finish by seasoning with salt and pepper.
9. Or you may use a jar and shake the dressing.
A few more ideas from Heidi:.
- Gently heat the dressing and toss with spinach, for a warm, slightly wilted dinner salad.
- Use the vinaigrette as a marinade.
- Use it to toss with pasta (stuffed cheese filled pasta is an especially good choice).
Recipe formatted with the Cook'n Recipe Software from DVO Enterprises.