Total Calories: 102
• Prepare a single 9-inch pie shell. Prick pie shell with a fork and bake at 425°F for 10 to 12 minutes.
• Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
• Separate the egg yolks from the whites, and put aside. Save the whites for the meringue.
• Juice the lemons and grate the rind into a small bowl. Put aside.
• Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of the water in a cup or small bowl. Heat the rest of the water and the milk in a heavybottomed saucepan or double boiler. Stir in the honey or maple syrup, stevia extract, and salt. When hot but not boiling, slowly mix in the cornstarch. Cook on low, stirring gently until thick (about 5 minutes). Simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes longer on low.
• Mix the egg yolks, lemon juice, and rind together. Gradually mix about 1 cup of the hot pudding into the eggs. Add the egg mixture slowly back into the pan. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer on low, stirring gently.
• Remove the pudding from the heat. Cool to a warm temperature. To prevent a skin from forming, place a piece of waxed paper on the surface.
• Place the filling in the pre-baked pie shell. Top with the meringue.
• Beat the egg whites with a mixer until frothy at medium speed. Add the cream of tartar.
• Whip on medium-high until the whites form soft peaks that droop. Drizzle in the honey, then add the vanilla and stevia extract.
• Continue beating on medium-high until the whites are smooth, moist, and shiny, and when the beater is lifted the meringue stands in straight peaks.
• Spread the meringue on the pie, making sure it goes all the way to the edge. Form peaks with a knife if desired.
• Bake in a 350°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes. If the peaks are getting too dark, take the pie out of the oven early. Next time, try lowering the oven temperature slightly or lower the oven rack.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.