Total Calories: 275
1. Cut beef in 1/4-inch slices. Mince scallion stalks.
2. Mince ginger. Combine with cornstarch, soy sauce, sherry, salt and sugar, mixing well. Add to beef slices and toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Arrange beef slices in shallow heatproof dish. With a circular motion, sprinkle oil and minced scallions over the top.
4. Steam on a rack until done (30 to 40 minutes). See HOW-TO, _Steaming and BACKGROUND, 06- Techniques of Chinese Cooking STEAMING.
5. Mince Chinese parsley. Serve beef in its heatproof dish, with parsley sprinkled over.
* In step 1, sliver the beef or cut in julienne strips and steam 25 to 30 minutes or mince or grind the beef and steam about 15 minutes.
* In step 3, top beef with any of the following:
CLOUD EAR MUSHROOMS:
2 tablespoons cloud ear mushrooms and 1 piece tangerine peel, both soaked and slivered. (For the peanut oil, substitute a few drops of sesame oil.)
DRIED BLACK MUSHROOMS:
4 dried black mushrooms (soaked), slivered and either 8 to 10 water chestnuts, sliced thin, or 1/2 cup pickles, shredded.
PICKLED BAMBOO SHOOTS:
1/2 cup pickled bamboo shoots. (Cut beef in julienne strips.)
1/2 to 1 cup preserved cabbage, minced.
1/2 cup dried salted cabbage (soaked), sliced thin.
8 tea melons, washed and sliced. (You may also add 1/2 bundle preserved turnips, washed and chopped coarsely.)
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.