Total Calories: 484
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Slow Cooker Cooking Time: 8 to 9 hours on low
Last-Minute Cooking Time: about 10 minutes on stovetop (optional)
1. Cut meat in half if needed to fit in skillet and slow cooker. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of brisket in oil. Place meat in a slow cooker. Discard drippings.
2. Sprinkle onion soup mix over meat. Top with celery and onion. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and water pour over vegetables. Pour beer around meat.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until meat is fork tender.
4. If time allows, cool meat in liquid, about 1 hour.
5. Skim off fat from cooking liquid. Remove meat and thinly slice diagonally across the grain. Use cold for sandwiches. Or, place meat in a large saucepan, cover with cooking liquid and reheat over low heat for 10 to 30 minutes (depending on amount of meat). Serve with gravy if desired.
6. To make gravy: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add 2 cups cooking liquid. Stirring, bring to a boil and boil until thickened. Taste gravy for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. For a thinner gravy, add more liquid. Serve with meat.
Serve with boiled potatoes.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.