Total Calories: 509
Dissolve yeast in water until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Combine with 1 cup flour and mix well. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a light sponge is formed. Sift remaining 1 cup flour with salt and sugar add to sponge along with milk and 3 tablespoons melted butter. Knead well. Roll about 1 tablespoon dough at a time on a bread board between palms of hands and board to make a long, thin rope about 6 x 1/2 -inches. Keep unrolled dough covered. Place 1 inch apart on a well-greased baking sheet, pressing ends down onto sheet. Brush with remaining melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes. Bake in a preheated 400° F oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown and dry. Reheat any leftovers before serving to restore crispness.
1. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons poppy seed or toasted sesame seed after brushing with melted butter.
2. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons coarse salt after brushing with melted butter.
3. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese after brushing with melted butter.
4. Sprinkle lightly with garlic or onion salt after brushing with melted butter.
5. For a whiter and slightly softer bread stick, brush sticks with milk rather than metled butter after shaping and again before baking.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.