Grilled Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
A summertime tradition is for my family is to go see the Salt Lake Bees play baseball. Personally, I like the minor leagues because there is much more action than in the major leagues. One of the vendors serves these delicious sausages and we look forward to them each year. It is fun to make them ourselves, too.
|1 tablespoon||vegetable oil|
|1||large onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips (about 2 cups)|
|2||red bell peppers, stem and core removed, sliced into 1/4-inch strips|
|2||green bell peppers, stem and core removed, sliced into 1/4-inch strips|
|3 tablespoons||apple cider vinegar|
|kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|2 pounds||sweet or hot Italian sausage|
|cheese sauce, for topping|
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned in spots, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar. Remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover, and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
3. Transfer pepper mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Alternatively, construct a tray out of a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil, 10 inches square, with sides about 2 inches high. Nestle sausages into pepper mixture.
4. Place tray on hot side of grill and cook until simmering, about 4 minutes. Slide to cooler side of grill. Cover grill with vents over the sausages. Cook with all vents open until sausages register 140° to 145°F on an instant read thermometer, about 20 minutes, turning once in the middle.
5. Remove lid. Using tongs, remove sausages from peppers and place directly on cooking grates over hot side of grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until well browned and crisp, about 3 minutes total. Return to peppers. Toast buns over hot side of grill if desired. Serve sausages with buns and sweet and sour peppers.