Total Calories: 123
1. Lay the steak flat on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut it lengthwise into 1/8-inch-wide strips, then transfer to a nonreactive baking dish. Add the marinade and toss the beef to coat thoroughly. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 30 minutes.
2. If using rice vermicelli, soak in a bowl in cold water to cover until soft and pliable, about 30 minutes. (If using soba, angel hair, or spaghetti, no soaking is necessary.) Drain the rice noodles and cook in 3 quarts rapidly boiling water until tender, 2 to 4 minutes (6 to 8 minutes if using the other noodles). Drain whichever noodles you used in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain again and transfer the noodles to a bowl. Arrange the basil, mint (if using), chiles (if using), and lettuce leaves on plates or in bowls. Divide the peanut sauce among 4 small bowls (see Note).
3. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Weave the beef strips lengthwise onto the skewers. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Arrange the skewers on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until the meat is cooked to taste, about 1 to 2 minutes per side (2 to 4 minutes in all) for well-done. Transfer to a platter.
5. To eat, wrap a strip of beef, a forkful of noodles, some basil and mint leaves and chile slices (if using) in a lettuce leaf. Slide the skewer out (you can use the lettuce leaves as pot holders for sliding the beef off the skewers). Dip the resulting bundle first into the sauce and then pop it into your mouth-for a contrast of textures, temperatures, and flavors that is dazzling.
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 to 3 as an entrée
Note: The recipe can be prepared to this point up to 3 hours in advance. If you do so, cover everything with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Don’t heat the grill until you’re ready to proceed.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.