Total Calories: 395
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. When ready to cook, if using wood or charcoal, toss the scallions and chiles right on the charcoals. Cook, turning with tongs, until nicely charred and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
If using gas (or if you don’t have easy access to the coals of your grill), cook the scallions and chiles on the grate. After removing, cover the scallions with aluminum foil and set aside while you prepare the chiles.
3. Scrape the skin off the chiles with a sharp knife (don’t worry about removing every last bit). Halve them and scrape out the seeds. Cover with foil and set aside.
4. When ready to grill the beef, oil the grill grate. Generously salt the beef and place it on the hot grate. Grill, turning with tongs, about 3 minutes per side for well-done (the way Oaxacans like their beef cooked). While you’re at it, throw the tortillas, a few at a time, on the grill for a few seconds to heat them and keep warm in a cloth-lined basket. Transfer the beef to a cutting board and cut into thin strips or 1/2-inch dice.
5. To serve, set out bowls of limes, guacamole, and salsa. To eat, place a few pieces of beef on a tortilla. Place a grilled scallion and chile half on top. Top with spoonfuls of guacamole and salsa, and a squeeze of lime juice. Roll the whole thing up and eat.
Note: Ask your butcher to cut the beef for you on a meat slicer. The advantage of cutting the steaks so thin is that you maximize the surface area exposed to the heat and smoke.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.