Total Calories: 348
1. Combine the milk, cream, orange and lemon zests, and cinnamon stick in a medium-size heavy saucepan and bring almost to a simmer over low heat. Let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes, but do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk together 3/4 cup of the sugar and the egg yolks in a medium-size bowl. Whisk in the flour, then strain the milk into the yolk mixture in a thin stream and whisk to mix. Return this mixture to the saucepan and bring gradually to a gentle simmer over medium heat, whisking steadily. Once the mixture thickens, gently simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not boil rapidly or overcook, or the custard will curdle.
3. Immediately divide the custard among 6 individual gratin dishes or ramekins. Cool to room temperature, then cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours.
4. When ready to serve, sprinkle each custard with 2 teaspoons of the remaining sugar in a thin layer. Light a kitchen blowtorch following the manufacturer’s directions. Or preheat the broiler and set the rack 6 to 8 inches from the heat source.
5. Use the kitchen blowtorch to caramelize the tops of the custards. Or arrange the dishes on the broiling rack and broil until the tops have crusted to a rich, golden brown, about 3 minutes watch carefully to prevent burning, shifting the creams as needed to ensure even browing. Serve immediately.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.