1. TO MAKE THE F1AUTAS: In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken breasts, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and peppercorns. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes (the chicken will not be completely cooked). Remove from the heat, cover tightly, and let the chicken cool in the liquid, about 1 hour.
2. Remove the chicken from the bones, shred the chicken, and discard the skin and bones. Set the chicken aside.
3. Heat a dry medium skillet over medium heat. Add a tortilla to the skillet and heat, turning once, until pliable, about 30 seconds. Place on a work surface. Add one eighth of the shredded chicken and roll up the tortilla into a narrow "flute," securing the tortilla closed with a wooden toothpick. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken. (The flautas can be prepared up to 1 hour ahead of frying, covered, and set aside.)
4. MEANWHILE, TO MAKE THE SALSA: Using a large knife, cut the top and bottom from each orange down to the flesh. Put the oranges on end and cut off the peel down to the flesh. Cut between the membranes to release the segments. In a medium bowl, combine the orange segments, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, not more than 2 hours.
5. Just before frying the flautas, thin the sour cream with the milk.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Put a large wire cake rack over a jelly roll pan. In 2 batches, in a deep Dutch oven, melt shortening over high heat to a depth of 2 to 3 inches and heat it to 375°F. Deep-fry the flautas until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a wire-mesh skimmer, transfer to the wire rack to drain. Keep the flautas warm in the oven while frying the rest.
Serve the flautas on individual plates, drizzled with the sour cream (or use a squeeze bottle to pipe streaks of sour cream over the flautas) and garnished with spoonfuls of the salsa.
This Chicken Flautas With Orange And Red Onion Salsa recipe is from the Fried & True: Crispy and Delicious Dishes from Appetizers to Desserts Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.