Bahamian Grilled Chicken
Ingredients:1 chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered, or 4 bone-in chicken breasts halves with skin
1 cup lime juice, fresh
1 onion, small, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 2 hot chilies, scotch bonnet or other hot chiles, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons thyme, chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
1. Rinse the chicken pieces under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Place the pieces in a nonreactive bowl or baking dish and pour in the lime juice turn the pieces to coat. Let marinate, at room temperature, for 15 minutes, turning the pieces once or twice.
2. Pour off and discard the lime juice, then add the onion, garlic, chile, thyme, oil, paprika, salt, and pepper and turn the chicken pieces to coat thoroughly. Let the chicken marinate in this mixture for at least 15 minutes or as long as 1 to 2 hours (the longer the better), covering and refrigerating if marinating the longer time.
3. Preheat the grill, using the two-tiered method.
4. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Using a rubber spatula, scrape any bits of onion or garlic off the chicken pieces. Arrange the pieces, skin side down, on the grate over the hotter section of the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the chicken pieces to serving plates or a platter and serve.
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.