The Luscious Lemon
One of my favorite flavors I have come to like cooking with is lemons. They are super versatile and inexpensive. They can be put in a drink, paired with fish, or a make a super delicious dessert. But what I like most about them is how awesomely healthy they are. With most flavors we add to food, we don't even think about their health benefits. Lemons are pretty awesome though. While we get a great flavor, they are helping us out.
- Lemon is an excellent and rich source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Lemons contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial.
- It balances and maintains the pH levels in the body.
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins.
- It helps soothe the digestive system.
- It aids digestion and encourages the production of bile.
- It conditions and cleanses the liver.
- It is a great source of citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases.
- It helps reduce pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid.
- It helps cure the common cold.
- The potassium content helps nourish brain and nerve cells.
- It liquefies the bile and also helps regulate the excess flow of bile.
- It strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.
- It helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver.
- It can help relieve the problem of indigestion and excess gas.
- In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief.
- In case of pregnant and lactating women, lemon juice will help build strong bones in a child, due to its calcium content.
- It helps dissolve gall bladder stones and other calcium deposits that are dangerous to the body.
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne.
- It helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems.
- It aids in the reduction of phlegm (mucus) produced by the body.
- It has an alkalizing effect on the body.
- It helps control the spreading of unhealthy bacteria in the gut.
- Aids in the production of digestive juices.
- It helps purify the blood.
- Lemon juice helps replenish body salts especially after a strenuous workout session.
- It can treat a sore throat. Gargle with warm lemon water to help ease a sore throat.
As I was thinking about how to add these luscious lemons to my diet, I started thinking about my New Year's resolutions too. I realized that I had gotten tired of big goals that never got done. So, I started thinking about ways to make small steps each year that I could do that would help me get to my big goals.
One of my big goals is to be healthy. I struggle with chronic ill health, so anything I can do to combat that is a good thing. I have been drinking more water lately, and water seems to be a staple in everyone's diet. So, what if there was a way to make something we do every day to make it healthier for us? That's when I realized that I could put lemons in my water and get all those extra benefits of lemons while I get hydrated. A simple change, but a big step toward my big goal. I also realized that eating lemons in any way (yummy lemon squares count; who said goals couldn't be tasty too?)would be a huge boost to my health.
So, as we get started on the New Year and our goals, try a simple step by adding in a lemon to your diet, and get healthy!
Monthly Newsletter Contributor since 2014
Email the author! email@example.com