Total Calories: 124
1. Rinse the swordfish steaks under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Place the steaks in a nonreactive baking dish just large enough to hold them flat in a single layer. Combine the chiles, cilantro, lime juice, oil, and salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk briefly to blend the liquids. Pour the mixture over the steaks in the baking dish. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 1 hour, turning once or twice.
2. Prepare the sauce. Roast the pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until they begin to brown and pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Shake the pan as you cook the seeds and do not let them burn. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a shallow bowl to cool. Setting 3 tablespoons seeds aside for garnish, grind the remainder to a fine powder in a blender or mini chopper. Stir in 1 cup of the stock and set aside.
3. Discard the papery husks from the tomatillos and place in a small saucepan with water to cover. Add the chiles and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer until the tomatillos are soft, about 5 minutes. Drain the tomatillos (both softened and canned, if using) and place in a blender with the chiles, remaining 1 1/2 cups stock, the onion, garlic, scallions, 1/2 cup cilantro, the parsley, lettuce, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and the cumin and process to a smooth purée.
4. Heat the lard or oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the pumpkin seed mixture and fry until dark, thick, and fragrant, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent splattering. Stir in the tomatillo mixture and continue cooking the sauce until thick and richly flavored, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often. The last 5 minutes, stir in the epazote (if using). Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt or lime juice as necessary the mixture should be highly seasoned. Set aside and keep warm.
5. Preheat the grill to high.
6. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the steaks from the marinade and arrange, facing in the same direction, on the hot grate. Grill until cooked through when pierced by a knife, 4 to 6 minutes per side, turning over carefully with a long spatula. For an attractive crosshatch of grill marks, rotate the steaks 90 degrees after the first 2 minutes on each side.
7. Using the spatula, carefully transfer the steaks to a serving platter and spoon the sauce over. Sprinkle with the reserved whole pumpkin seeds and additional chopped cilantro and serve at once.
Note: If fresh tomatillos are not available, one 28-ounce can, drained, rinsed, and drained again, can be substituted it is not necessary to cook them before adding to the blender.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.