Total Calories: 519
1. Prepare the spice paste. Combine the shallots, macadamia nuts, garlic, chile, galangal, coriander, pepper, turmeric, shrimp paste or anchovy paste (see Notes), and salt in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the spice paste and sauté until dark and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
2. Prepare the fish mousse. Combine the fish and shrimp in the food processor and process to a smooth purée. Add the cooled spice paste, coconut milk, egg white, 1 tablespoon lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, and sugar and process until thoroughly blended. To test the mixture for seasoning, sauté a small amount of it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste, adding lime juice and salt to the remaining mixture as necessary it should be highly seasoned. Refrigerate the mixture, covered, for 2 hours.
3. Divide the mousse mixture into 24 equal portions. Lightly wet your hands with cold water, then take each portion of mousse mixture and mold it around the bulbous part of a lemongrass stalk to make a sausage shape about 3 inches long place the satés as they are finished on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook, up to 6 hours.
4. Preheat the grill to high.
5. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Arrange the satés on the oiled grate and grill until nicely browned on the outside and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. If the fish mixture sticks to the grate, use a long spatula to help turn the satés.
6. Using the spatula, carefully transfer the satés to serving plates or a platter. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer, 2 as an entrée
Notes: If you can buy large lemongrass stalks (about 12 inches long with bases 1/2 inch in diameter), the tops may be thick enough to use as skewers then, because you’ll be cutting the stalks crosswise in half, you’ll need only 12 stalks.
If using fish sauce, add it to the mousse mixture along with the spice paste in step 2.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.