Total Calories: 460
1. Using a small, sharp knife, with the tip of the knife pointing towards the bones, remove the thin rib bones and thick keel bone from each breast, keeping the breast meat and skin intact. (Or ask the butcher to do this for you.) Using a flat meat mallet, pound the breasts lightly so they are the same thickness throughout. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and season with the salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until the butter is ready.
2. In a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula, cream the butter and blend in the chives, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, zest, salt, and pepper. The butter should be just malleable. If it is too soft, place in the freezer to firm. Form the butter into 6 equal finger-shaped pieces about 3 inches long.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut a deep horizontal slit into the side of each breast. Insert a butter finger into each slit, and press the edges of the slit closed to seal.
4. Put the flour in a deep plate. Break the eggs into a second plate and beat well. Place the bread crumbs in a third plate. Coat each breast first with flour, then with eggs, then bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours to set the crumbs.
5. Put a large wire cake rack over a jelly roll pan. In a large, deep skillet, melt vegetable shortening over high heat to a depth of 2 to 3 inches and heat it to 360°F. Carefully place the breasts in the hot shortening and deep-fry for 5 minutes. Turn carefully and continue cooking until the breasts are golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to the wire rack to drain briefly. Serve immediately, warning each guest that the butter may squirt out of the chicken breast when pierced.
This Chicken Kiev With Fresh Herbs And Lemon recipe is from the Fried & True: Crispy and Delicious Dishes from Appetizers to Desserts Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.