A few months ago my ice maker broke. I went to the outside freezer and grabbed the archaic device you may call and "ice tray".
To most of us an ice tray seems perfectly normal, but to my kids it seemed like a totally absurd concept. My oldest thought it was great and wanted to fill it, empty it, put it in the freezer. It was hilarious... almost as good as when I showed him a rotary phone. Kids these days!
Maybe you still use ice trays on a daily basis and maybe they are a thing of the past at your house, but here are 10 great reasons to get them back in the freezer!
1. Freeze lemon or lime juice so all the fruit off your tree doesn't go to waste.
2. Freeze leftover soup and then bag the cubes in freezer bags. When you are ready to eat it, throw a few cubes in to a bowl or thermos and heat it in the microwave.
3. Freeze homemade stocks. One ice cube is usually equivalent to two tablespoons. Which means 2 cubes = 1/4 cup, 4 cubes = 1/2 cup, 6 cubes = 3/4 cup, 8 cubes = 1 cup
4. Freeze and store homemade baby food (it's so easy - just steam and puree veggies, and add water until you get to the desired consistency).
5. Use as a jello mold for kid-size portions.
6. Freeze pesto. Then you can just drop a cube or two in to your pasta when you are ready to eat.
7. Freeze tomato paste so you always have some on-hand when a recipe calls for one or two tablespoons and you don't have to waste.
8. Use to make popsicles. Pour juice, fruit purees, or pudding into the tray, cover with foil, and poke wooden sticks through the foil into each cube.
9. Freeze freshly chopped herbs. Just place the herbs in the compartments and then fill with water or stock. Once they freeze, remove them and store the cubes in freezer bags, making sure you removed all the air.
10. Freeze leftover juice or wine to avoid wasting and enjoy it later.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.