10 Ways To Increase Your Water Intake
We’re finally reaching warmer weather- and that means more sun, more outdoors time, and unfortunately, more dehydration! Even for those of us that tend to drink a lot of water, it can be harder to reach a healthy daily dose of water, because we’re spending more time outside, it’s hotter so we need more water- or we just get busy with all the summer activities! Getting enough water each day is absolutely crucial, so here are a few tips to help you make sure you’re keeping your body healthy and well-hydrated!
1. Keep a water bottle with you always. Whether you’re running your kids to their next soccer game or picking up a few groceries, we don’t always think to grab a water bottle with our keys and purse- but we should! Having a water bottle with you ensures that you’ll have water with you even when you’re out and about.
2. Set an alarm. If you really struggle remembering to drink water, don’t be ashamed to set an alarm to go off every 30-60 minutes! Your body will thank you!
3. Use Crystal Light, sliced lemon, or other add-ins. Some people just really don’t like the taste of plain water! If this is you, keep some lemon slices in the fridge to add to your water bottle, or keep some Crystal Light on hand to flavor your water. It’s definitely a step up from soda, so don’t feel bad if you have to use some to get your daily water intake!
4. Get the right glass. This may seem silly, but sometimes just the glass/water bottle you use can affect the taste of the water! I am super picky about my cups- I have a special plastic cup that I use for my water, because I hate the taste of water in glass cups and most plastic cups. I have the same problem with water bottles ;).
5. Build in your water intake with another common daily habit. For example, get a glass of water every time you go to the bathroom, send a text, walk past the front door, etc.
6. Drink a glass of water before every meal/snack. Not only will this ensure you’re drinking more water, but it will also make you feel fuller and help you lose weight!
7. Use an app! There are actually apps you can download in which you can track the amount of water you’re drinking and set reminders. If you love taking data, this is a great option for you ;). You can also invest in a special water bottle that will actually sync to apps on your phone to make it even easier!
8. Eat food with a high water content. Let’s face it- some people just don’t like drinking water! While you really should do what you can to drink enough water, you can cheat a little bit by eating plenty of foods with a high water intake! Tomatoes, grapefruits, cucumbers, celery, zucchini, and watermelon are all great choices.
9. Add ice. There’s not much better than a big glass of ice cold water! Sometimes just that little change in temperature is enough to make you crave water!
10. Use a straw. If you’re a big soda person, drinking from a straw might make it more fun than just drinking from a regular cup! This is definitely a good one for the kids ;). (You can even take it a step further and use sparkling water to really mimic that soda kick!)
What do you do to make sure you’re drinking enough water throughout the day?
Weekly Newsletter Contributor since 2014
Email the author! email@example.com