Southern Style Shrimp Gumbo
Ingredients:2 cups uncooked regular long grain white rice
4 cups water
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
1 pound shelled deveined uncooked shrimp
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook rice in water as directed on package.
2. Meanwhile, melt margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook until tender.
3. Sprinkle onion mixture with flour; stir to coat. Add broth, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes and okra. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in shrimp. Simmer an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley.
5. To serve, spoon 3/4 cup rice into each of 8 individual soup bowls; spoon gumbo over rice.
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.