Total Calories: 78
1. In a medium saucepan, boil the potatoes in water to cover until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well, and put in a wide shallow bowl. Coarsely and gently break up the potatoes with a fork. Cool the potatoes to room temperature, and allow the steam to dissipate.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the masa harina with the water. With clean hands, work the dough together until smooth and soft but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
3. Put the cotija cheese in a food processor bowl, and pulse until finely crumbled. Add the prepared masa dough and salt. Pulse to mix. Add the potato and pulse to combine with the dough. The dough should be soft but not sticky. (Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if too stiff.)
4. Remove the dough to a flat working surface, and divide the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Cover with plastic wrap. To form the molotes, press 1 ball of dough into a 3-inch circle and put 1 stick of the cheese across the center. Wrap the dough around to enclose the cheese. Seal the ends well, with no cheese peeking through, and gently shape the molote to resemble a torpedo. Lay the molote on a baking sheet and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. In a medium skillet, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil until hot. Fry the molotes, 3 or 4 at a time, frequently turning them, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 200° oven. Serve warm.
From "1,000 Mexican Recipes." Copyright 2001 by Marge Poore. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.