Total Calories: 204
1. To make the gattae: In a bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, garam masala, ajwain seeds, salt, and 1 tablespoons oil. Add 2 tablespoons water, up to 1/4 cup water as needed to make a semi-stiff dough. If the dough sticks to your fingers, scrape it off, coat your fingers with some water or oil, and continue.
2. Using clean hands, divide the dough into 6 parts and roll each part into a 1/2-inch thick and 6- 7-inch long roll. Place all the rolls in a large saucepan, add water to cover by at least 1 inch and boil over medium-high heat, 2 or 3 minutes. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rolls firm up and turn much lighter in color, 20 to 25 inutes. Drain, saving the water for cooking the sauce. Cut the rolls into 1/2-inch pieces (gattae).
3. To make the sauce: In a food processor or blender, process together the onion, ginger, and garlic to make a smooth paste.
4. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick wok or saucepan over medium heat and cook the chili peppers and onion paste, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and salt, then add the tomatoes and stir until soft, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the gattae and stir about 5 minutes, then add the water, measuring the water in which the gattae were cooked as part of the 3 cups needed for the sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and summer 10 to 12 minutes to allow the gattae to absorb the flavors of the sauce. Transfer to a serving dish, mix in the cilantro, and serve.
From "1,000 Indian Recipes." Copyright 2002 by Neelam Batra. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.