Total Calories: 335
1. Prepare the pakoras. Then, in a blender, blend together the yogurt, water, chickpeas flour, and curry leaves until smooth. (Blend well, or the yogurt will curdle while cooking. (Transfer to a bowl and mix in the coriander, turmeric, and salt.
2. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick wok or saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the onion and ginger, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add the coriander and fenugreek seeds and the asafoetida, and stir momentarily. Then slowly add the yogurt mixture, stirring constantly, and continue to stir until it comes to a boil, 2 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully and reduce the heat if the sauce starts to boil over.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally and watching carefully until the sauce looks smooth and silky and traces of oil are visible on the top surface and the sides, 30 to 35 minutes. (Add this point, the sauce should be somewhat soupy it will thicken after the pakoras are added.)
4. Add the fenugreek leaves and the pakoras and summer another 3 to 5 minutes, allowing the pakoras to soften as they absorb the sauce. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with chopped cilantro, cover, and keep warm.
5. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons in a small nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the red chili peppers until they start to brown, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cumin seeds they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil. Quickly add the paprika and pour over the kadhi. With a fork, lightly mix the tarka into the kadhi, with parts of it showing on top as a garnish Serve.
From "1,000 Indian Recipes." Copyright 2002 by Neelam Batra. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.