Total Calories: 119
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or leave ungreased, and set aside. In a small bowl, sprinkle the turmeric over the hot water and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cheese. Using the large holes of a grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture (the frozen fat is easier to incorporate into the dry ingredients and remains cold for a flakier coin). Using your fingers or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.
3. Drizzle the milk over the flour mixture, stirring until it forms large lumps. Transfer the mixture from the bowl into a plastic bag. Quickly push the dough together until it forms a flaky ball. Flatten into a 9-inch disk and chill, in the bag, for at least 1 hour.
4. Roll the dough out 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board, between 2 sheets of parchment paper or heavy-duty plastic wrap, or on a pastry cloth with a cloth-covered rolling pin.
5. Lightly dip a 11/2-inch round garnish or mini-biscuit cutter in flour, then firmly press it straight down into the dough. Repeat, cutting the coins close together to avoid rerolling. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the coins to the baking sheet.
6. Beat the egg yolk into the reserved turmeric mixture, then brush the mixture over the surface of each coin. Bake until the coins are lightly browned and have a golden shine, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
From Holiday Baking. Text copyright © 2005 by Sara Perry. Photographs copyright © 2005 by Leigh Beisch. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.