Total Calories: 69
1. Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, allspice, and cinnamon, then lightly whisk and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds. On medium speed, beat in the brown sugar until light and lump free. Beat in the maple syrup, orange juice, and lemon zest until blended, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Turn off the mixer, add half the flour mixture, and beat on low speed until blended. Add the remaining flour and beat until blended. Gather the dough into a 6- to 8-inch disk and wrap loosely in plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, flatten the disk so the plastic wrap is tight and the dough is even. (This helps reduce the chilling time and makes the dough easier to roll out.) Chill for 2 hours, or until firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it lightly and set aside.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and, if needed, soften slightly for easier handling. Roll it out 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured board, between 2 sheets of parchment paper or heavy-duty plastic wrap, or on a pastry cloth with a cloth-covered
5. Lightly dip a 3- to 31/2-inch turkey-shaped or Thanksgiving-themed cookie cutter in flour, then firmly press it straight down into the dough. Repeat, cutting the cookies close together to avoid rerolling. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies to the baking sheet. If a cookie is to be used as an ornament, press a hole through the top with a drinking straw or large skewer.
6. Bake until the cookies are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies firm and cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
From Holiday Baking. Text copyright © 2005 by Sara Perry. Photographs copyright © 2005 by Leigh Beisch. All rights reserved. First published by Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, California.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.