1. TO MAKE THE SAUCE: In a blender or food processor, puree the raspberries, sugar, and lime juice. Strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a small bowl to remove the raspberry seeds. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. TO MAKE THE CHIMICHANGAS: Lay a mango on a work surface, plump side down. The mango pit is long and flat, and runs horizontally through the fruit, so the trick is to cut the flesh away without hitting the pit. Using a sharp, thin-bladed knife, slice off the top third of the mango, cutting around the pit. Turn the mango over and slice off the other side. Repeat with the remaining mangoes. One piece at a time, using a large serving spoon, scoop out the mango flesh in one piece from the peel. Cut the mango flesh into 3f4-inch cubes. Place in a medium bowl and toss with the granulated sugar, lime juice, cornstarch, and lime zest.
3. In a dry medium skillet over medium heat, heat a tortilla, turning once, until pliable, about 30 seconds. Place on a work surface. Place one fourth of the mango mixture on the bottom third of the tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla to enclose the filling, fold in the sides, and roll up into a thick cylinder. Secure the chimichanga closed with wooden toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place a large wire cake rack over a jelly roll pan. In a deep Dutch oven, melt vegetable shortening over high heat to a depth of 2 to 3 inches and heat it to 365°F. In batches, without crowding, deep-fry the chimichangas until golden, about 3 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, transfer the chimichangas to the wire rack to drain, and keep warm in the oven while frying the rest.
5. To serve, spoon equal amounts of the sauce into the centers of 4 dinner plates. Place a chimichanga on each plate and sift confectioners' sugar over the entire plate. Serve immediately.
This Mango Chimichangas With Raspberry Sauce recipe is from the Fried & True: Crispy and Delicious Dishes from Appetizers to Desserts Cookbook. Download this Cookbook today.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.