Sweetened condensed milk is similar to evaporated milk, because 60% of the water is evaporated out of it. The difference, though, is that sweetened condensed milk is a mixture of whole milk and sugar. When all that water is removed, what remains is a sticky, sweet mixture great for desserts.
Cook's Tip: You can make your own sweetened condensed milk by following this recipe:
1. Combine 1-1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup water, and ½ cup butter in a 4 cup glass measurer or other microwavable dish.
2. Microwave the mixture on high for 1 minute. Stir.
3. Microwave the mixture on high for another minute. Stir.
4. Again, microwave it for 1 minute. Stir. Continue microwaving, stirring after every minute, until the mixture boils.
5. Pour the mixture into a blender and add 2 cups dry powdered milk. Process until smooth.
6. This makes 14-ounces (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) of sweetened condensed milk that you can use in any recipe calling for it.