Total Calories: 79
1. Select 9 to 12 of the ingredients listed below, choosing some from each category: dried, fresh and miscellaneous. (Although less typical, as few as 4 or 5 ingredients may be used.) Prepare each ingredient, as indicated below.
2. Combine water, soy sauce, sherry and salt.
3. Heat oil. Add selected ingredients, and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes. (This will take a large pan. If one is not available, cook 3 or 4 ingredients at a time, then assemble them in step 5 and reheat before adding cornstarch paste.)
4. Add water-soy mixture and heat quickly then simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
5. Blend cornstarch and sugar to a paste with remaining cold water, soy sauce and salt then stir in to thicken. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with sesame oil stir in and serve.
NOTE: This vegetarian dish is known as the Feast of Arahats or Food for the Saints the Chinese name is Lo (or Loo) Hon Ji, or Lohan Tsai. It will keep about a week and can be reheated several times without loss of flavor.
* In step 4, stir 2 tablespoons Chinese red cheese, mashed, into the water-soy mixture then heat quickly.
DRIED INGREDIENTS FOR BUDDHIST VEGETABLE DISH:
1/8 pound rice or peastarch noodles (soaked), cut in 3-inch lengths
1/2 cup lily buds (soaked)
1/2 cup dried black mushrooms (soaked), cut in half
2 tablespoons cloud ear mushrooms (soaked)
1/2 cup hair seaweed (soaked)
1/2 cup dried bamboo shoots (soaked), cut in 2-inch lengths
1/4 cup dried chestnuts (Parboiled)
3 sticks dried bean curd, broken in 2-inch lengths and soaked or 1 or 2 sheets dried bean curd (soaked), cut in squares or rectangles
2 pieces dried lotus root (soaked)
FRESH INGREDIENTS FOR BUDDHIST VEGETABLE DISH:
1/2 cup celery, shredded
1/2 cup green pepper, shredded
1/2 cup mushrooms, shredded
1/2 cup mustard cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup onion, shredded
1/2 cup bean sprouts, blanched
1/2 cup cauliflower, broken in small flowerets
1/2 cup Chinese cabbage, cut in 2-inch sections
1/2 cup snow peas, stemmed
1 cup winter melon, diced
1 cup zucchini, cut in 2-inch slices
MISCELLANEOUS INGREDIENTS FOR BUDDHIST VEGETABLE DISH:
1 cup canned bamboo shoots, shredded
1/2 cup ginkgo nuts or lotus seeds, shelled and blanched
1/2 cup raw peanuts
5 cakes bean curd, deep-fried
1/2 cup vegetable steak
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.