Total Calories: 161
1. Sauté onion with oil until translucent.
2. Add lentils, beets, chard and beet stalks, and red pepper cubes.
3. Cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
4. Add soup base or vegetable broth and simmer 40 minutes or until beets and lentils are done.
5. Add diced tomatoes and paprika. The heat of Hungarian paprika varies, so be sure to flavor to your taste. (Penzey’s Hungarian half-sharp paprika is wonderful, but quite hot.)
6. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
7. After the soup has cooked, place in a blender or food processor and purée. Add vegetable broth until soup has a velvety texture. A good blender or food processor is needed to purée this soup.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of fat-free sour cream or yogurt to each serving.
Note : This soup recipe and several others were contributed by Gayle Pruitt, nutritionist at MacNut Oil Company, a distributor of an excellent brand of macadamia nut oil from Australia.
Note : We complete the palette for this meal with a tricolor green salad with oranges, kiwi, and pistachio nuts.
Note : The reserved chard leaves can be combined with butternut squash for a luteinrich vegetable side dish.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.