Total Calories: 275
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets in a glass or metal baking dish with about a half a cup of water in the bottom. Cover with aluminum foil and roast until very tender, about 1 hour. Cool, peel and purée the beets in a food processor or blender until smooth. You will need ½ cup of beet purée. Freeze the remaining purée for another time.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back in any bits of grain or other ingredients that may remain in the sifter.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, melted butter, egg and ½ cup of beet purée until smooth. Using a spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently combine. The batter should be the consistency of lightly whipped cream and crimson in color.
4. Although the batter is best used immediately, it can sit up to an hour on the counter or overnight in the refrigerator. When you return to the batter, it will be very thick and should be thinned with1 Tablespoon at a time with milk – take care not to over mix. (I think for those of you that are dairy-intolerant that you could use rice milk or watered down almond milk.)
5. Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Rub the pan or griddle generously with butter – this is the key to crispy, buttery edges. Drop ¼ cup mounds of batter onto the skillet and spread out a bit. Once the bubbles begin to form on the top side of the pancake, flip it over and cook until the bottom is dark golden-brown, about five minutes. Wipe the skillet with a cloth before cooking more pancakes. Re-rub the pan with butter.
6. Serve pancakes hot off the griddle with warm maple syrup.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.